厦门大学 Xiamen University (XMU)
Xiamen University (XMU) , established in 1921 by renowned patriotic overseas Chinese leader Mr. Tan Kah Kee, is the first university founded by an overseas Chinese in the history of modern Chinese education. XMU has forged partnerships with 236 universities in such countries as the UK, the US, Japan, France, Russia, etc., as well as China’s special administrative regions like Hong Kong and Macao and the Province of Taiwan; it has established 16 Confucius Institutes in collaboration with local universities in 13 countries. The University has recruited a large number of top-notch professors, many of whom are prominent scientists and leading scholars. XMU currently has a faculty of 2,657, of whom 81.1% hold doctoral degrees. XMU affords high priority to the diversification and internationalization of the mix of its faculty. Over the years, XMU has forged partnerships with nearly 300 higher-learning institutions around the world and engaged in substantive cooperation with more than 50 of the world’s top 200 universities. XMU students have opportunities during their studies at the University to participate in various academic exchange programs or pursue further studies at world-renowned universities.
Nestled snugly between green hills and the blue sea, XMU is renowned as China’s “most beautiful university” for its excellent education facilities and beautiful environment.
The tuition fee and cost of living at XMU are relatively low compared with most of the other major universities in China and beyond. A good variety of scholarships are available to international students. International students can truly feel the care of the university as if they were in their home countries. There is a fortnightly breakfast with the university president, during which the president will seek students’ feedback. Regularly held language saloons include the Chinese corner, the English corner, and the French corner. The Chinese Bridge Contest, the Xiamen International Marathon Race and the XMU Foreign Karaoke Contest are among the most popular competitions on campus for international students. The University hosts celebrations for major holidays observed by international students, such as the Spring Festival and the Water-splashing Festival. It is one of the unique sights on campus that a great many international students practice Tai Chi boxing and swords by the Furong Lake.
- Long-term Chinese
The programs are open to applicants with different levels of Chinese proficiency. Students will be placed into three levels (i.e. beginning, intermediate and advanced) and be grouped into different classes with small size. The program will focus on the training of listening, speaking, reading, and writing, with optional courses such as HSK tutorial, Chinese Idioms and Their Stories, Learning Chinese by Watching Chinese Movies, Chinese Kung Fu and Chinese Painting to act as a supplement to core courses. The objective is to help learners improve their abilities of Chinese language and communication, so as to enable them to apply Chinese in theirs studies, life and future careers. Certificate of Completion and transcripts will be issued to students upon completion of the study.
- Short term Chinese
- China Study Program: 4 weeks in July
- Morning: Language courses with focus on listening and speaking
- Afternoon: 1. English lectures on Chinese economy, society, history, culture, or politics. 2. Culture courses such as calligraphy, paper cutting, Kung Fu or Chinese painting. 3. Visits to foreign and local companies in Xiamen.
- Afternoon or weekend: Culture tours
- Tailor-made Chinese programs
- Ordinary Chinese Class for Groups: Tailored programs are available for any study group of 15 people or more with similar Chinese proficiency. Program details such as the length, curriculum, courses, class hours, and culture experience activities can be negotiated. Certificate of Completion and transcripts will be issued to students upon completion of study.
- China Study Program for Groups: This program is specially designed for foreign college students who are interested in Chinese language, Chinese history, Chinese economy and Chinese culture. Foreign universities or colleges select the applicants and send excellent ones (at least 15) to study in Xiamen University. The courses, time and tuition fee of the program can be decided through further negotiation. In this program, OEC is responsible to offer Chinese language training and open English lectures on Chinese economy, culture, politics, or society. A staff member from the foreign university can be assigned to supervise the program or even teach 1-2 courses of the program. OEC will award Certificate of Completion of Study to the students after the program finishes.
- XMU GET International Summer School
XMU GET International Summer School is jointly organized by the Overseas Education College of Xiamen University and the Canadian education institution — Global Education & Technology Ltd. In recent years, with the rapid growth of the number of Chinese students studying in North America and the increasing cost of studying abroad, more and more students choose to spend their summer vacation on international summer school programs in order to obtain credits for North American universities. At the end of the course, if the student’s overall assessment qualifies, official transcripts will be provided by the Overseas Education College of Xiamen University and certified by the relevant credit accreditation agency in North American. Through this process, credits obtained in China can be transferred to North American universities and can be considered towards the equivalent course credit at the student’s home school. For international students, attending a summer school offers both time-saving benefits as well as cost-coefficients. The tuition fees of summer programs in China can often be comparatively lower than their North American counterparts, thus cutting back on the already extremely high costs of studying abroad.
- BA in Chinese language
- MA in Chinese teaching
- PHD in Chinese teaching
- Distance education
Address: Overseas Education College,Xiang’an Campus of Xiamen University,South Xiang’an Rd.,Xiamen,Fujian,China, 361102
Tel: 0086-592-2186211 Fax: 0086-592-2093346 QQ: 1079109171