中山大学 Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU)
Sun Yat-sen University, founded by Dr. Sun Yat-sen and with an educational tradition spanning over 100 years, is a preeminent research, academic and cultural center and the premier location for talent development in South China. With five campuses in the three cities of Guangzhou, Zhuhai and Shenzhen, and ten affiliated hospitals, the University is striving to become a world-class university and global center of learning. It is one of the China`s highest ranked multi-disciplinary institutions, marked by a unique combination of history, prestige and beauty.
As an engaging community, SYSU is dedicated to the excellence in teaching and learning. SYSU faculty members devote themselves both to students and to academic research. In 2016, the University had eighteen disciplines ranked in the top 1% in the world based ESI, which ranked second in China. Benefiting from its location near HONG KONG and MACAO and the regional advantage of opening and economic development, the university has become an important base for training high-level talents, scientific research, providing services to society and inheriting cultural traditions.
The Centre for Chinese Language and Culture, which is part of The School of Foreign Languages, offers non-degree Chinese language courses for overseas students.
There are four elementary levels (Chuji 1, 2, 3, 4), four intermediate levels (Zhongji 1, 2, 3, 4) and two advanced levels (Gaoji 1, 2). Each course is for one semester (17 weeks) in duration, and students will generally not move classes during that semester. Students are allocated to levels mainly according to the results of their placement exam. the center arranges 20 periods of classes per week.
· Chuji 1 is for absolute beginners.
· Chuji 2 is for those who know Pinyin and a little bit of basic Chinese. (Studied previously for less than 50 hours.)
· Chuji 3 is for those who know five to six hundred words. (Studied previously for about 300 hours.)
· Chuji 4 is for those who know seven to eight hundred words. (Studied previously for about 350 hours.)
· Zhongji 1 and 2 are for those who know more than 1200 words. (Studied previously for about 600 – 650 hours.)
· Zhongji 3 and 4 are for those who know more than 2500 words. (Studied previously for about 900 – 950 hours.)
· Gaoji 1 and 2 are for those who know more than 4000 words. (Studied previously for more than 1200 hours.)
For those who study for more than one semester at our center, it is typical to move up two levels at the beginning of the next semester.
They provide about ten different optional classes each semester. These classes include Characters, Elementary Reading, Elementary Writing, Cantonese, HSK Tutorial, News Reading, Chinese History, Chinese Songs, Taiji and Calligraphy.These classes are free to all full-time students enrolled in our School, to a maximum of four periods per week. Classes start in the first week.